Advice and Information – Contact us

Written advice


Advice topics

Due to the disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic, we continue to have reduced capacity to respond to written queries during this time.

We are currently only able to respond to requests for advice on the following topics:

  • Coronavirus laws and restrictions
  • Police powers and conduct
  • Protest rights

If you have a question on one of these topics, please first check that it is not already answered on our Advice & Information hub.

If you cannot find the answer to your question and want to get written advice from us on one of these topics please read the information below about how we prioritise queries and then use our webform, linked below.

If your query relates to any other topic, we will unfortunately be unable to respond to you. Please check back frequently for updates about this.

Query Prioritisation

For queries which do relate to these topics, we still get many more people asking for our help than Liberty has the capacity to respond to.

Because of this, we assess each query we receive and prioritise queries which:

  • Fall within our areas of expertise
  • Relate to Liberty’s key campaigning areas
  • We can provide valuable advice on
  • Can be responded to in time to meet any deadlines in your case.

If your query does not fit the above criteria, unfortunately we will be unable to provide you with written advice.

Unfortunately, even if your query does meet these criteria, the number of queries we receive means we may not have the capacity to respond to even priority cases.

If we cannot advise you, we will do our best to let you know as soon as possible. We will also try to direct you to other places you may be able to get advice and information, including specialist services related to your query.

If we can advise you, we aim to get back to you within six weeks.

Please click here to access our webform to submit your query.

Please note we are unable to receive or respond to written queries by post at this time.

Other options

If you need urgent legal advice, you might want to consider contacting a solicitor. See our I need a lawyer page for more information or search online using the following directories:

We have pages on our website dealing with many of the questions we are frequently asked, including how to find immigration advice, how to make a police complaint and what to do if you think you are under surveillance.

Coronavirus advice

We also have a Coronavirus: know your rights guide which contains up to date information about the restrictions that the government has put in place in response to the pandemic, including:

If you are contacting us because you have received a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) for coronavirus related offences and want support, we recommend you contact a solicitor specialising in criminal law as soon as possible.

Unfortunately Liberty is unable to offer legal representation in these matters. However, a criminal solicitor will be able to provide you advice on whether you can challenge the FPN and how to do so.

You can find a solicitor using our I need a lawyer webpage.

Advice Line

UPDATE – 1 JUNE 2021

Please note that Liberty’s Advice Line remains CLOSED until further notice.

If you are looking for legal representation, please see our page I need a lawyer for more information about how to find a lawyer.

We apologise for any inconvience caused. We are aiming to have Liberty’s Advice Line re-open soon. Please follow Liberty on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), sign up to our mailing list, or check this page regularly for updates on when Advice Line will re-open.