I need a lawyer

I need housing advice

Getting legal advice

Unfortunately, Liberty is unable to provide legal advice on housing issues.

See our I need a lawyer page for more information or search online for lawyers who specialise in housing law using the following directories:

If you have questions about claiming benefits or about what you are entitled to, you can seek advice from the organisations set out below.

Legal Aid

You may be eligible for legal aid for your case. This means that you could get free legal advice or representation, or help towards paying for the costs. Your eligibility depends on your financial eligibility and the strength of your case.

To find out if you are eligible for legal aid, you can contact Civil Legal Advice:

Back to top

Organisations that provide housing and homelessness advice


Shelter provides advice and information about housing and homelessness.


Citizens Advice

Citizen’s Advice Bureau is a national charity and a network of local offices that give people free advice and information about many issues. You don’t have to be a citizen to get advice from them.

  • Read their resources on housing on their website
  • Find your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau here
  • Chat to an advisor online
  • Speak to an advisor on the phone Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm.
    • Adviceline (England): 0800 144 8848
    • Advicelink (Wales): 0800 702 2020
  • Relay UK – if you can’t hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then the Adviceline or Advicelink number. You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website

Back to top

Assistance with Housing or Destitution Support

Asylum Support Appeals Project (ASAP)

Asylum Support Appeals Project (ASAP) is a small charity working to reduce destitution amongst asylum seekers by protecting their legal rights to food and shelter.

ASAP provides free legal representation and advice to asylum seekers appealing against government decisions to refuse or take away their asylum support.

  • Telephone: 020 3716 0284
  • Address: ASAP, Ground Floor Anchorage House, 2 Clove Crescent, East India Dock, London E14 2BE
  • You can refer yourself to their service: find out more here.


British Red Cross

The British Red Cross offer assistance with urgent needs of refugees, asylum seekers and other vulnerable migrants, including:

  • food parcels and vouchers
  • small amounts of cash
  • clothes
  • toiletries
  • blankets
  • baby items
  • travel vouchers.

You can search for your local refugee support service here or see the following contact details:

  • Telephone: 0344 871 11 11
  • Email: contactus@redcross.org.uk
  • Address: 44 Moorfields, London, EC2Y 9AL

Back to top

Find local support services

The Homeless Link

Search for local services, including accommodation, advice, day centres and health services on the Homeless Link website here.


The Pavement Magazine

Search for a range of local services, including housing advice, advocacy, bedding and food on the Pavement Magazine website here.


National Domestic Violence Helpline

If you fear for your immediate safety, you should call the police on 999. If you cannot speak press 55 when the operator answers to use the Silent Solution System. This lets the operator know you are in danger. You should listen to the operator for instructions.

For information about accessing a refuge or other support services, call the National Domestic Violence Helpline:

Back to top

What are my rights on this?

Find out more about your rights and how the Human Rights Act protects them

Did you find this content useful?

Help us make our content even better by letting us know whether you found this page useful or not