I need benefits advice

Getting legal advice

Unfortunately, Liberty is unable to provide legal advice on benefits issues.

The benefits system can be complex and confusing, and the rules often change over time.

We recommend getting advice from a specialist organisation if you need help to understand what you’re entitled to, or how to make a claim. See our I need a lawyer page for more information, or search online for lawyers who specialise in benefits using the following directories:

If you have questions about claiming benefits or about what you are entitled to, you can seek advice from the organisations set out below.

Legal Aid

You may be eligible for legal aid for your case. This means that you could get free legal advice or representation, or help towards paying for the costs. Your eligibility depends on your financial eligibility and the strength of your case.

To find out if you are eligible for legal aid, you can contact Civil Legal Advice:

Back to top

Organisations that can help


Turn2Us helps for people in financial need in gaining access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.



The LawWorks Clinics Network gives free initial advice on benefits law. Find a LawWorks Legal Advice Clinic near you.


Citizen’s Advice Bureau

Citizen’s Advice Bureau is a national charity and a network of local offices that give people free advice and information about many issues. You don’t have to be a citizen to get advice from them.

  • Read their resources on benefits on their website
  • Find your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau
  • Chat to an advisor online
  • Speak to an advisor on the phone Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm.
    • Adviceline (England): 0800 144 8848
    • Advicelink (Wales): 0800 702 2020
    • Relay UK – if you can’t hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then the Adviceline or Advicelink number. You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK here.

Back to top


Disability benefits

Disability Law Service

The Disability Law Service provides free legal advice on welfare benefits to disabled people and their carers. They provide advice over the phone, along with online information and representation at tribunals.

  • Telephone: 0207 791 9800 (Monday to Friday: 9.30am – 5.30pm)
  • Email:
  • Request a call back using their online form


Disability Rights UK

Disability Rights UK is the UK’s leading organisation led by, run by, and working for Disabled people. They have many resources on their website including:



Scope is a disability equality charity in England and Wales. Their helpline gives information and support on issues that matter to disabled people and their families. You can call Scope’s Disability Information and Advice Line on 0808 800 3333.


Macmillan Cancer Support

Macmillan Cancer Support offers benefits advisors for people affected by cancer.

Back to top

I need assistance in court

Free Representation Unit

The Free Representation Unit (FRU) provides representation in social security and employment hearings. Contact them here.



Advocate (Bar Pro Bono Unit) provides free legal help from barristers for those who cannot obtain legal aid.

  • Address: The National Pro Bono Centre, 48 Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1JF
  • Email:


Support Through Court (for Litigants in Person)

Litigants in person are people who represent themselves in court without a lawyer. Support Through Court provides practical support to litigants in person, their friends and families, witnesses, victims and inexperienced court users.

  • National Helpline Service: 03000 810 006 (Monday to Friday: 10:30am to 3:30pm)

Back to top

What are my rights on this?

Find out more about your rights and how the Human Rights Act protects them

Did you find this content useful?

Help us make our content even better by letting us know whether you found this page useful or not