Civil Liberties Trust
The Civil Liberties Trust is a registered charity that works in parallel with Liberty
What is the Civil Liberties Trust?
The Civil Liberties Trust is a registered charity (No. 1024948) that works to promote human rights and civil liberties through research, policy work, litigation, education and advice. It works in parallel with Liberty and is based in the same building.
The Trust does not employ staff but pursues its objectives by funding Liberty to carry out specifically charitable work. Most of the Trust’s direct charitable expenditure is represented by grants to Liberty to fund work in the areas of information, research, publications, advice and legal services.
Civil Liberties Trust objectives
1. The promotion of domestic human rights including the elimination of the infringement of those rights and the promoting of effective remedies following any breach, for the benefit of the public.
2. The provision of legal advice, assistance and representation on human rights and civil liberties to those unable to pay for it.
3. The provision of educational material and information on civil liberties and human rights.
4. The undertaking and promotion of research into civil liberties and human rights.
Why are Liberty and the Civil Liberties Trust separate organisations?
Liberty is an unincorporated association made up of members, and a non-profit making company that employs staff and runs campaigns. The Civil Liberties Trust is a grant-making registered charity.
It is important that the different organisations exist. The division enables Liberty to pursue all the work necessary to protect and promote civil liberties and human rights, including, crucially, our political campaigning.
Donations to the Civil Liberties Trust can be gift-aided, meaning that the Civil Liberties Trust can claim back tax you have already paid on your donation, typically 25p for every £1. Visit the HMRC website to find out more.
Can I still donate to Liberty?
Yes! Although donations to Liberty cannot be gift-aided they can be used to support the full spectrum of work that Liberty undertakes. This is often the hardest work to fund, so is where our greatest need lies.
- You can donate to Liberty here.
- You may also be interested in other ways to support us.
- To donate to the Civil Liberties Trust please contact our development department on 020 7378 3663 or firstname.lastname@example.org
U.S. donors are able to make tax-effective gifts to the Civil Liberties Trust through CAF America. Please contact us for more information.